Saturday, June 20, 2009

STRAWBERRY

ON THE 20th I FOUND A FLEDGLING HOPPING AROUND ON THE GROUND NEAR OUR DRIVE WAY. WE THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE FALLEN OUT OF IT'S NEST, BUT WE DIDN'T SEE ANY NEST EXCEPT FOR THE ROBINS NEST. SHE WAS SSSOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! I DECIDED TO CALL IT A SHE. WE USED BUTTERFLY NETS AND CAUGHT HER. I GOT TO HOLD HER. HERE ARE SOME PICS OF ME HOLDING HER:

ISN'T SHE TINY? SHE'S SSSSSSSOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! WE FOUND OUT THAT SHE WAS A BALTIMORE ORIOLE AND I LOOKED UP WHAT THEY ATE. I FOUND OUT THAT THEY EAT BERYS SO I GOT A LITTLE STRAWBERRY AND TRIED TO FEED HER. IF WE HELD OUR HANDS ABOVE HER SOME TIMES SHE OPENED HER BEAK FOR US TO FEED HER. WE HAD TO BE REALLY FAST OR SHE WOULD CLOSE HER BEAK. DAD TRIED DROPPING A PEICE OF BREAD INTO HER BEAK, BUT HE MISSED. I HAD SOME STRAWBERRY STUCK TO MY FINGER AND WHEN SHE OPENED HER BEAK I MANAGED TO WIPE IT ON THE EDGE OF HER BEAK. SHE ATE IT SO I DECIDED TO NAME HER STRAWBERRY, BERRY FOR SHORT. WE FOUND OUT THAT FLEDGELINGS LEARN TO FLY FROM THE GROUND AND THEIR PARENTS ARE CLOSE TAKING CARE OF THEM, SO WE PUT HER BACK DOWN IN A SAFER PLACE. I GOT TO SEE HER PARENTS FEEDING HER. THE NEXT DAY I HEAARD HER AND FOLLOWED THE SOUND OF HER VOICE (SHE IS REALLY, REALLY LOUD). I SAW HER FLUTTERING AROUND IN THE WOODS BEHIND THE CHICKEN COOP. HER PARENTS WERE THERE FEEDING HER. SHE WENT ALL THE WAY FROM CLOSE TO THE WOOD PILE TO BEHIND THE CHICKEN COOP!!!! SHE WAS SSSSOOOO CUTE!!!!

No comments: